Monday, January 26, 2015

Not All Heros Wear Capes

When you think of a hero, you may think of a superhero. Maybe you're picturing a philanthropist, or a celebrity, or a really awesome mentor of yours. You may overlook my personal heros who have helped me through some tough times:

The men and women who work at Chipotle.

Chipotle was founded in 1993 and now operates over 1600 locations, including three in Ann Arbor. They're known to have founded the fast-casual restaurant model, meaning that they serve high-quality ingredients quickly. They aim to use ingredients that were responsibly raised and grown.


At Chipotle, the meal possibilities are endless. The menu is simple but what you order is totally unique. They don't differentiate much to target different demographics. The basic menu offers the options of a burrito, a bowl, tacos, or a salad. They also have kids menus and a few locations offer unique items, but for the most part Chipotle keeps it simple. This allows them to focus on their food's quality and to monitor the suppliers of each ingredient.

The simple Chipotle menu

The restaurant is successful thanks to the value it brings to consumers. Chipotle creates utilitarian value by offering filling meals that cost around $8 to $10. Chipotle doesn't have to differentiate its products very much but they're still able to cater to the wants of pretty much anyone looking for a delicious meal, even those who don't eat meat or gluten. Even better, when you eat there you get to watch your own meal being created right in front of you. Chipotle employees prepare all food in front of the customers, meaning that there’s no question of what you’re actually eating. Plus, it tastes really good.

On the other hand, the Chipotle experience goes far beyond the food itself. The stores are all pretty uniform so customers know what to expect, from the menu to the decor and the music. The atmosphere is inviting, never intimidating. Chipotle is super popular among people our age, making it the perfect place to hang out and grab a bite. No joke, I graduated from high school in 2011 and when I'm at home for breaks I still can't go to my hometown Chipotle without seeing someone I know there. 

It doesn’t take long to get your food (unless it’s free burrito day), but the ingredients are fresh and the meals are pretty healthy. I've been eating there regularly for a while, way back in the days of the clear utensils and the old logo. I have a lot of fond memories being there in high school. In a way, Chipotle makes me feel nostalgic. I would definitely describe Chipotle as the food version of a hug from an old friend. The hedonic value of the restaurants in conjunction with a really awesome product makes Chipotle successful.


I feel you, little man.
So, tell me in the comments below:

What was your favorite place to hang out in high school? How did that place add enough value to keep you & your friends coming back?

3 comments:

  1. Christina, great post! I don't know you all that well, but I felt like I was talking to an old friend while I was reading your blog. To answer your questions, we didn't have anything that we were extremely attached to, but we did always go to a restaurant called Roma's. It was a classic greasy pizza place that everyone would go to after football games. The food wasn't superior, but the camaraderie that we felt when we were there was why we kept going back. They place added value by giving us free pizza and pop and made it a really fun environment with a ton of school spirit. As for your blog, I think you hit the nail on the head by highlighting the company's consistency as one of its biggest value-creators. It's always a 10 out of 10... Like this blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, I loved reading your post. You have a ton of enthusiasm and I for one completely agree that Chipotle workers are heroes. To answer your question, Chipotle was actually one of my favorite places to hang out in high school. My friends and I would go there at least 3 days a week for lunch and there would be a huge line wrapping around the door. First of all, the entire experience was fun because so many people from school would go to eat there, so it was basically like eating in a cafeteria. Second, the food is just obviously amazing. You can never get enough. Lastly the meals were pretty cheap (the prices were lower than they are now) and we would always get a free drink with our student ID. This is a great post and I look forward to reading it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina,

    I really enjoyed your post and especially your superheroes reference! Chipotle happens to be one of my favorite places to eat on campus as well.

    One place that my high school friends and I used to go to was a local family-owned coffee shop called Tuscan Cafe. We used to spend hours there doing homework or just chatting over coffee, pastries, and some of the best breakfast sandwiches in the town. We chose this over other coffee shops because of the homey decor and great atmosphere. Whenever I think of Tuscan, I have nothing but the best memories with some of my best friends and have received a lot of hedonic value over a place offering food. Whenever we are back from college on holiday we often plan to meet up and we do not even need to say where because it is always assumed we will be going to Tuscan.

    One thing I found interesting about Chipotle was the simple product offering that focuses on the responsible suppliers. I think it is a somewhat grey area distinguishing the product offering as either being undifferentiated due to the same ingredients, or differentiated based on the customization aspect.

    ReplyDelete